If your hair seems damaged, dry, or greasy, it may be due to home hair care mistakes. You won’t need to completely transform your daily grooming routine to restore healthy hair though. Minor adjustments will help keep your hair looking full and healthy. This article explains how to keep your hair looking healthy, shiny, and full.
Take Cold Showers
When you are ready to unwind after a long day or get ready for work in the morning, a nice warm shower may be your first thought. If it is, you are missing out on a healthy hair tip. Cold showers, although not appealing to everyone, are very beneficial. They are healthy for your body, and hair. Cold showers can help you lose weight, and improve your skin and hair. They even strengthen your immunity, along with several other benefits. Here are some reasons why cold showers are good for you:
- Enhances Mood and Energy – After a long day, a long hot shower may sound like a relaxing thing to do. However, cold showers will lower levels of uric acid, and boost levels of Glutathione in the blood. Cold showers then naturally aid in reducing stress in general. Taking cold showers can be difficult at first and even make it a little difficult to breathe. The effort to take deeper breaths during a cold shower will significantly increase the heart rate and oxygen intake. This, in turn, gives you more energy.
- Helps Burn Fat – I know what you may be thinking. How could taking cold showers actually burn fat? According to Men’s Health, an icy shower could burn an extra 500 calories a day. Studies in The New England Journal of Medicine found making the body cold activates brown fat. Brown fat is a good type of fat. It generates heat, increases metabolism, and burns off bad white fat. Previously, researchers thought only babies had brown fat, to keep them warm in winter. However, they’ve now found adults have a supply, which becomes activated when the body is exposed to the cold. So to all of you trying to lose that pesky extra fat, add taking a cold shower to your weight loss efforts.
- Better for Hair – On cold and windy days, nothing sounds better than a long hot shower. However, hot water is actually harmful and slowly damages the hair and skin. Unfortunately, hot water strips the essential oils from the hair and scalp. This leads to dryness of the scalp. It also causes issues such as dandruff and brittle hair. Cold showers help make the hair shinier and healthy by closing down the cuticle. When the cuticle of each hair strand is closed down, the hair is less likely to accumulate dirt. Thereby protecting the scalp too. To keep hair moisturized and healthy, consider taking cold showers rather than winding down in a hot one.
- Better for the Skin – Cold showers help keep the skin moisturized and clear. Just like with the hair, hot water dries out the skin. Cold water tightens pores, preventing them from getting clogged. Additionally, if you want to reduce the appearance of acne, cold showers could do the job. Cold water reduces inflammation, making acne look less irritated.
Invest In The Right Products
With so many different men’s hair products on the market today, it can be difficult to know which one is best. Just because a product claims to be organic and natural, it doesn’t always mean it is. The ingredients inside the bottle are important and are found on the back label of the bottle. According to Ecology Center, the following are some ingredients to look out for:
Ingredients to Avoid
- Sulfates such as sodium lauryl sulfate (SLS) or sodium laureth sulfate (SLES)
- Parabens are chemicals used as preservatives for their strong antibacterial and antifungal properties.
- Phthalates, plasticizers that have been regarded in many countries to be potential carcinogens, are used in part to make the fragrance in shampoos and other cosmetic products linger.
- Coal tar dyes are frequently found in dandruff shampoos, as well as possible carcinogens.
Ingredients You Want
- Plant-based, organic, or raw ingredients
- Homemade or simple ingredients
- Look for minimal packaging due to the chemicals needed for sustainability
Master Men’s Hairtylist Tip —
Always check the ingredients listed on any product. Ingredients are listed from most to least. That means, if alcohol or sulfates are listed first, that product contains the most of that ingredient.Krista Martin
Be Sensitive When Drying Your Hair
Hair is more susceptible to breakage when wet. Therefore, being sensitive when drying your hair is advisable. Using caution while styling will help keep hair strong and healthy. When drying and styling your hair using a blow dryer, avoid using the high heat setting daily. Excessive blow drying on high heat can dry out the hair and scalp.
Another caution to employ is to avoid rubbing the hair vigorously with a cotton towel. When rubbing wet hair with a cotton towel, some hairs easily tangle in the threads of the towel. The hairs then become stretched to their breaking point. This causes damage to the cuticle, creating split ends. The hair will then appear frizzy, dry, and damaged. To suitably towel dry your hair, shake out the excess water and then stroke it in the direction it grows with the towel. That approach is better than rubbing the hair with a towel. The drying process will take a bit longer with this strategy. But, after a few haircuts, you’ll notice the difference in how your hair looks promise.
Go To The Pros Every Once In A While
If you are having problems with your hair, talk to a professional men’s hairstylist. Hair-related issues can be dry scalp and flaking, extremely oily hair and scalp, or even early signs of hair loss. A men’s hairstylist can give you more tips to regain healthy hair. A professional men’s salon that focuses strictly on men’s grooming will be able to provide the right information that works to give you healthy hair. At the same time, they can create a hairstyle that works for your hair-related challenges and recommend haircare products that keep your hair looking its best.
The Right Haircut Equals Healthy Hair
A well-groomed and stylish haircut is more than just a fashion statement. It plays a significant role in maintaining healthy hair and creating fullness in men’s hair. A carefully chosen haircut can work wonders in enhancing your facial features and boosting self-confidence. Most importantly, it promotes the appearance of healthy and voluminous hair. There are various aspects of how the right haircut can help men achieve and maintain the illusion of healthy and full hair.
Choosing the Right Haircut
- Face Shape Consideration – One of the primary factors in selecting the right haircut is the individual’s face shape. Different face shapes call for different haircut styles to complement and enhance the facial features. The correct haircut can draw attention away from any perceived hair thinning and create the illusion of fullness. For instance, men with round faces often benefit from shorter, well-textured styles, while those with square faces may find longer, layered cuts more suitable.
- Hair Type and Texture – The texture and type of hair are essential factors in determining the right haircut. Men with thin or fine hair may opt for short, cropped styles, as these create the appearance of thicker hair. Coarser or wavy hair, on the other hand, can be styled in ways that add volume and depth, making it look fuller.
Layering and Texturing
- Adding Dimension– Layering and texturing are haircut techniques that add depth and dimension to men’s hair. By strategically cutting hair at varying lengths and angles, a skilled barber can create the illusion of fuller hair. This technique is especially effective for individuals with thinner hair, as it prevents a flat and lifeless appearance.
- Thinning Hair Solutions – For men experiencing thinning hair, layering and texturing can be a lifesaver. These techniques help conceal areas of thinning by distributing the hair evenly, making the hair appear denser. Additionally, shorter sides and a longer top can draw attention away from the thinning areas, redirecting the focus to the style itself.
Proper Maintenance and Styling
- Product Usage – Maintaining a healthy and full appearance for your hair goes beyond the haircut itself. The use of appropriate hair products, such as volumizing shampoos, conditioners, and styling products, is crucial. These products can add body and texture to the hair, making it appear thicker and more voluminous.
- Regular Trims – Regular visits to the barber are essential to keep your chosen haircut looking its best. As hair grows, it may lose its shape and structure, which can lead to a less full appearance. Frequent trims and touch-ups ensure that your hair remains in the desired style and maintains the illusion of thickness.
Confidence and Self-Perception
- Psychological Impact – It’s important to acknowledge the psychological impact of a well-suited haircut on a man’s self-confidence and self-perception. A haircut that complements one’s features and style can boost self-esteem, making an individual feel more attractive and self-assured. This positive self-image can, in turn, project an aura of health and vitality, which others perceive as healthy and full hair.
Healthy Hair Begins at FOR MEN Salon | Spa
The right haircut that promotes healthy hair is not merely a fashion statement but a powerful tool. It helps in maintaining the appearance of healthy and full hair for men. By considering factors like face shape, hair type, layering, and texturing, as well as proper maintenance and styling, men can achieve a look that enhances their overall appearance and self-confidence. Ultimately, the right haircut goes beyond aesthetics; it plays a pivotal role in shaping how men feel about themselves and how they are perceived by others. The outstanding men’s hairstylists at FOR MEN Salon and Spa can help you turn damaged hair into healthy hair. Have questions? Book a consultation today ⬇️⬇️⬇️